Wolftrap Elementary Community BUILDING STEm challenge!
Challenge starts February 6 and ends February 16. Start Gathering Materials now!
The Wolftrap Elementary Edison Expo STEM Challenge is our 2020-21 take on the Edison Expo – normally our Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (STEAM) Fair.
ENTER YOUR MEASUREMENT HERE!
WHAT IS THE EDISON EXPO STEM CHALLENGE? HOW DOES IT WORK?
Students will create the tallest free-standing structure possible using the approved materials, such as cups and paper towel rolls (full list below). DO NOT use tape, glue or other adhesives. Structure must stand for at least 10 seconds.
We will add the heights of the structures for a composite classroom-level and grade-level score.
THREE WINNING CATEGORIES:
- Tallest in each Grade: Student wins a Nothing Bundt Cake bundtlet certificate
- Tallest Grade Level Score: Grade Level Reward - Fun Activity Voted on By Grade Classroom (e.g. Kahoot, Dance Party, PJ Day, etc)
- Tallest Classroom Level Score: Participating students win a Ben & Jerrys $5 gift certificate
All calculations will be normalized to ensure fairness across classrooms and grades.
Participation helps your score, so encourage your classmates to participate!
WHAT MATERIALS CAN I USE FOR MY STRUCTURE?
Use as much of any of the following materials to build your structure:
-- Cups: Paper, Styrofoam, Plastic Cups - No larger than 16 oz.
-- Paper plates
-- Flat cardboard, card stock or paper no bigger than 16x16 inches
-- Paper towel rolls
-- Craft sticks or popsicle sticks
-- DO NOT use tape, glue or other adhesives.
-- No boxes of any size
WHEN IS THE STEM CHALLENGE TAKING PLACE?
1. Start collecting your materials now!
2. Build your structure between February 6 and February 16.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
The Edison Expo STEM Challenge is open to all Wolftrap Elementary students.
HOW TO REGISTER/SUBMIT YOUR STRUCTURE
To participate in the STEM Challenge:
1. Build your structure using the guidelines above.
2. Measure your structures’ height in inches.
3. All STEM Challenge participants MUST register by February 16, 2021 using this form HERE
4. Take a picture of you and your structure and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Contact the Edison Expo Committee at email@example.com.